It is the intent of the Magnetawan Public Library Board to provide public access to the Internet and other electronic resources in fulfillment with the library’s mission statement.
Because of the evolving nature of the Internet, the library has established guidelines for its use in adult and children’s areas of the library. This policy applies to all users accessing the internet through the library’s network, whether using a library computer, a personal laptop, or mobile device.
The Magnetawan Public Library does not monitor and has no control over the information accessed throught the Internet, and cannot be held responsible for its content.
Parents may find some of the material on the Internet objectionable. As with other library materials, parents are expected to provide guidance in its use. Any restriction of a child’s access to the Internet is the responsibility of the parent/legal guardian.
In order to address these concerns, the Library has taken the following steps:
* Inclusion of Internet abuse in the Library’s Security Policy
* Inclusion of Internet workstations in the library watch program
* Requiring that all Internet users sign in for workstation use
* Requiring unaccompanied children under the age of 13 to have a signed parental permission letter before obtaining access
* Investigation of filtering software for screening out objectionable web sites
* Disabling IRC server access, MUD, MOO, etc. server access and Usenet server access
Responsible Use Policy
Internet workstations are available for use on a sign up basis only for 30 minute periods unless not in high demand. Laptop users are also asked to sign-in for statistical purposes.
All users of electronic information resources such as the Internet are expected to use these resources in a responsible manner, which include:
* Using resources for educational and information purposes only, not for unauthorized, illegal or unethical purposes
* Respecting the privacy of others using public workstations and by not interfering with their use
* Making only authorized copies of copyrighted or licensed software or data
Violations of the Responsible Use Policy are defined as Internet Abuse and can include (but not exclusive to) the following:
* Using the internet to access, display, download, upload, print, forward, or email material with pornographic, criminal or hate literate content.
* Subverting or attempting to subvert security devices in either software or hardware format on the workstations, the LAN or the Internet, or seeking unauthorized access to any computer system.
* Using email to send unsolicited commercial material, spamming or mail bombs
* Misrepresenting oneself to another user
* Attempting to modify or gain access to files, passwords or data belonging to others
* Unauthorized Downloading or uploading of copyrighted material such as music, movies, or software.
* Patrons may NOT bring their own software for use on library workstations without authorization from staff and a virus check.
* Patrons may NOT bring their own blank disks or USB devices for downloading from library workstations without authorization from staff and a virus check. Blank CDs for downloading may be purchased from the main desk in the library.
Patrons may print information from the Internet at the equivalent photocopy charge.
Library staff will use reasonable efforts to ensure compliance with Internet use policies and procedures.
Magnetawan Public Library staff is available to assist patrons, or patrons may book time for more assistance on learning the Internet or computer knowledge, but cannot provide complete technical support.
Library staff will not provide technical support for Internet users at home, with the exception of support for using the Magnetawan Public Library web site.
Library staff can use the Internet to answer reference questions or to supplement print resources and staff will do Internet searches for patrons upon request.
The Magnetawan Public Library reserves the right to request that patrons discontinue use of the Internet.
Patrons in violation of the library’s Internet policies will have their internet privileges revoked.
Repeat violations may result in banning from the library.
Patrons using the Library’s Internet workstations for illegal purposes will be subject to prosecution.
***By using Magnetawan Public Library workstations you agree to abide by the above terms, conditions and policies of use.***